Happy 2016, Beetniks!
The New Year is here and resolutions are in full swing! We love setting goals throughout the year, so resolutions are just icing on the cake for us. After back to back holidays and dining with friends and family for Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, Boxing Day and New Years (the list goes on!) we’re almost ready for a detox! Key word: almost. While we don’t dive head first into juice cleanses and restrictive diets, we’ll spend a little time paying more attention to what we cook in the new year. But before we dive into our plan for the aspiring home chef, we asked our Beetnik team for their 2016 New Year’s Resolutions! Here’s what we found out:
Now – on to our guidelines for the aspiring home chef!
Here’s some of our ideas:
1. Keep it simple and eat REAL food. Focus less on calories and macro-nutrients (number of carbs, fats, etc.) and more on fueling yourself with real food. Whole foods that you can see in your hands and identify on a plate. Steak and a side of broccoli. Potatoes and eggs (and not the boxed kind!).
2. Read your labels. Look at the ingredients on the package. Can you pronounce them out loud? (Thiamine mononitrate, anyone?) Avoid packaged foods and stick to fresh or frozen organic products with real ingredients. (That package of frozen lima beans should only have one ingredient!)
3. Stay on the outer aisles of the grocery store. You’ll notice that most of the whole, fresh foods make up the outer area of your local grocery store. Shop the produce aisle and pick up whatever you need on hand (we’ve got you covered when it comes to protein), and avoid the boxed packages!
4. Cook! Cooking is absolutely essential when it comes to clean eating. If you don’t consider yourself an amazing cook, take a look at some of our blog recipes for inspiration. If that’s still too daunting, try out our 100% organic, gluten free paleo friendly prepared meals. They all have simple and organic ingredients.
5. Keep your pantry and freezer stocked. Take advantage of sales and freezer sales and stock up! Our 5 oz grass fed tenderloins are the perfect size and portion, so make sure to keep some on hand and you’ll never be without clean ingredients again!