Fact: Pancakes are delicious.
Fact: Pancakes made with whimsical ingredients are even more delicious.
Fact: Beetnik’s Gluten Free All Purpose Pancake Mix makes one heck of a pancake, not even the the world’s greatest taste testers can detect a lack of gluten! (and by world’s greatest taste testers we mean Beetnik’s staff)
Perfect for Saturday morning, we highly recommend jumping out of bed, putting on your favorite Christmas jammies and whipping up some of these delicious holiday pancakes.
1. Sauteed Apple Pumpkin Oven Pancake
Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 6-8 (or two very full people!)
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cups Beetnik Gluten Free All Purpose Pancake and Cake Mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 large apples, peeled, cored and cut in 3/8 inch slices
- Powdered sugar for dusting
Heat the oven to 425 f. Place large cast iron skillet in oven to heat.
In a blender, combine eggs, pumpkin, milk, flour, vanilla, salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar. Blend for a few seconds to just mix the ingredients. Scrape the sides and blend again to incorporate. Set aside.
In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add the apples and sauté until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon. Stir to coat the apples, then remove from heat.
Remove the cast iron skillet from the oven and add the remaining 1 table spoon of butter, tilting to coat the bottom.
Spoon the sautéed apples over the bottom of the cast iron skillet. Pour the batter over the hot apples, then bake until puffed and golden brown, about 20-25 minites. Dust with powered sugar and serve immediately.
Adapted from Lou Siebert Pappas’ “A Harvest of Pumpkins and Squash.”
2. Sweet Almond Cream Pancakes
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk (cow, soy, rice, almond, etc.)
- 1 cup Beetnik Gluten Free All Purpose Pancake and Cake Mix
Whisk one egg with 1 cup milk and incorporate into the pancake mix. Heat a large non-stick pan over med-high heat, brush with oil and work in batches, pour 1/4 cup batter into skillet. Cook until golden brown on bottom and bubbles are forming on top. Turn and cook through, about 2 more minutes.
Cream Cheese Syrup:
- ½ package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 packet Beetnik All Natural Honey Cinnamon Almonds, chopped
- 1 packet Beetnik strawberries
Beat the cream cheese, butter, maple syrup and vanilla until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth. Steadily pour in milk, until smooth. Heat in sauce pan or microwave until warm (15-30 seconds)
Garnish with chopped mixed nuts and strawberries.
3. Super-Quick Mango Pancakes
- see above
- 1 packet Beetnik Frozen Mango, pureed
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agave or sugar (to taste)
Pour pureed mango into a saucepan with water and sugar. Heat over medium heat. Do not boil! Gradually add in lime juice and stir. Pour over pancakes and viola! Mango pancakes!