A homemade chicken stock ranks as one of the essential recipes in our cookbook. It’s incredibly simple to create and can bring an entirely new sense of depth to your recipes.
- bones from your Organic Whole Chicken
- 1 medium onion, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces
- aromatics of your choice (bay leaf, etc)
- 3 quarts cold water
Remove the bones from you chicken. Roast the bones at 450 degrees for 30-40 minutes. You’ll want the bones to turn a nice brown color before you remove them from the oven. Don’t worry- they won’t burn!
Transfer your bones into the stockpot. Combine your ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for roughly two and a half to three hours. Skim the surface occasionally with a spoon.
Once ready, strain through a sieve into a large bowl or container and discard the solids. You can transfer the stock to freezer safe containers and freeze for up to 3 months!