This traditional Italian bread salad is full of tomatoes and cucumber and gets a protein boost with the addition of salmon.
- 8 Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 thick slices day-old whole-grain bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (see Tip)
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled (if desired), seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 4 Smoky Applewood Salmon Fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Whisk olives, vinegar, capers and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in oil until combined. Add bread, tomatoes, cucumber, onion and basil.
- Prepare Smoky Applewood Salmon as indicated.
- Divide the salad among 4 plates and top each with a piece of salmon.
- Tips: If using fresh bread, you can grill the bread slices along with the salmon and then cut them into cubes. Alternatively, cut bread into cubes, place on a baking sheet and bake at 300°F until dry.
Recipe and image from EatingWell.com.